Dr Tom Cross
Sport & Exercise Physician
The role of the Sport & Exercise Physician is to obtain an early accurate diagnosis and thereafter discuss the best treatment options with the patient.
Sports medicine problems are most commonly injuries to the musculoskeletal system but also may involve medical illnesses that trouble active individuals such as asthma, fatigue, infectious diseases, concussion etc.
Sports medicine patients cover the spectrum of life from very young children to the frail elderly. The patients vary from being sedentary adults who get injured at work or home to full-time elite/professional athletes.
The Sport & Exercise Physician aims to return the patient to their former level of function as soon as practically possible. The Physician should share the patients' love of sport and exercise and try to enable them to make a safe return to their activity.
Dr Tom Cross has practised sports medicine for the past 20 years and during that time successfully completed 5 years of specialist post-graduate training in sport & exercise medicine and gained fellowship to the ACSEP (Australasian College of Sport & Exercise Physicians, (https://www.acsep.org.au/).
Prior to specializing in sports medicine Dr Cross gained a broad medical experience working as a Resident Doctor for 3 years in the NSW public hospitals, including 1 year specialising in paediatrics at the New Hospital for Children (Westmead) where he gained a Diploma in Child Health.
Dr Cross has broad sports medicine experience caring for recreational athletes (adults and children), musculoskeletal injuries that occur at work or home, elite/professional athletes and also military personnel.
Further information is available on his website at www.tomcross.com.au
His abbreviated CV includes:
- 1997-2000 Sports Medicine Registrar consulting in Sydney
- 1997 Team Doctor for Manly Rugby League Juniors
- 1998-2000 Sydney Swans Football Club: Assistant Team Doctor
- 2000 Volunteer Sports Doctor (Sydney Olympics and Paralympics)
- 2001 Australian Institute of Sport, ACT, Fellowship in Sports Medicine
- 2001-2003 Consultant in Sports medicine to Royal Military College, Duntroon, ACT
- 2002-2003 Consulting in Sports Medicine, Canberra
- 2004-2017 Consulting in Sports Medicine, Sydney
- 2004-2016 Australian Rugby Union Wallabies: Medical room doctor: Sydney Test matches
- 2004-2014 NSW Waratahs Rugby Union: Assistant Team Doctor
- 2004-2017 Honorary Doctor North Bondi SLSC
- 2004-2017 Medical reviewer British Journal of Sports Medicine
- 2005 Sydney Swans Football Club: Assistant Team Doctor
- 2011-2017 Sydney Swans Football Club: Junior Swans Academy Consultant Doctor
- 2008-2011 Canberra Raiders Rugby League: Assistant Team Doctor Sydney games
- 2012-2015 Melbourne Storm Rugby League: Assistant Team Doctor Sydney games
- 2014-2015 Assistant team Doctor for the Sydney Roosters Rugby League Club
- 2012-2015 Queensland State of Origin NRL Assistant Team Doctor
- 2014 Liaison Doctor to Arizona Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers Baseball in Sydney
- 2012-2018 Consultant Doctor for Cirque du Soleil performances in Sydney (Ovo, Totem and Kooza)
- 2015 Consultant Doctor to Les Miserables musical performing in Sydney
- 2016 "NRL Rookie TV series Channel 9" Head Doctor
- 2016-2018 Head Doctor Sydney Swans Football Club
Other sports medicine coverage includes:
Sydney FC Soccer, San Diego Chargers NFL, Australian Men's Water Polo Team tour of Europe, Australian Swimming Championships Team Doctor, NSW Institute of Sport Accredited Medical service provider, Harvard College American Football team, The Kings School Rugby, The Shore school Rugby, Wests Tigers rugby league, NZ Warriors rugby league, ACT Brumbies Rugby, Sydney Kings Basketball, Canberra Cannons Basketball, World transplant games, Australian Multi-disability games, Locum Doctor in Alice Springs for RFDS.
Dr Cross has several journal publications
- Rotator cuff problems in sport
- Exposure to Diagnostic Ionizing Radiation in Sports Medicine
- Exercise-associated Muscle Cramps
- Diagnostic imaging: radiation exposure and safety considerations
- Medical considerations in Child Athletes
- Musculoskeletal considerations in children
- Sports Injuries in Children
- Medial meniscal cyst as a cause of painful erosion of the tibial plateau
- Sports Injuries in children. Medicine Today. 2007 June; 8(6): 32-41
- Rotator cuff problems in sport. Medicine Today. 2006 Nov; 7(11): 75-79
- The accuracy of MRI in predicting recovery and recurrence of acute grade one hamstring muscle strains within the same season in Australian Rules football players.
J Sci Med Sport. 2004 Jun; 7(2): 248-58.
- Acute quadriceps muscle strains: magnetic resonance imaging features and prognosis. Am J Sports Med. 2004 Apr-May; 32(3):710-19.
- Exposure to diagnostic ionising radiation in sports medicine:assessing and monitoring the risk. Clin J Sport Med. 2003 May; 13(3): 164-70.
- "Silent" transverse patellar fracture following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2001 Nov-Dec; 17(9): 997-9.
Sports Medicine Lectures
For all appointment bookings and enquires with Dr Tom Cross please phone their office on (02) 8323 6500.
You will need to have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system to view this document. Download the Reader by clicking on the Acrobat icon below.