Dr Tom Cross
Sport & Exercise Physician
The role of the Sport & Exercise Physician is to obtain an early accurate diagnosis and thereafter discuss the best treatment options with the patient.
Sports medicine problems are most commonly injuries to the musculoskeletal system but also may involve medical illnesses that trouble active individuals such as asthma, fatigue, infectious diseases, concussion etc.
Sports medicine patients cover the spectrum of life from very young children to the frail elderly. The patients vary from being sedentary adults who get injured at work or home to full-time elite/professional athletes.
The Sport & Exercise Physician aims to return the patient to their former level of function as soon as practically possible. The Physician should share the patients' love of sport and exercise and try to enable them to make a safe return to their activity.
Dr Tom Cross has practised sports medicine for the past 25 years and during that time successfully completed 5 years of specialist post-graduate training in sport & exercise medicine and gained fellowship to the ACSEP (Australasian College of Sport & Exercise Physicians, (https://www.acsep.org.au/).
Prior to specializing in sports medicine Dr Cross gained a broad medical experience working as a Resident Doctor for 3 years in the NSW public hospitals, including 1 year specialising in paediatrics at the New Hospital for Children (Westmead) where he gained a Diploma in Child Health.
Dr Cross has broad sports medicine experience caring for recreational athletes (adults and children), musculoskeletal injuries that occur at work or home, elite/professional athletes and also military personnel.
The Cross Bracing Protocol
If you OR your patient has just injured your ACL, please head to Dr Cross’ HealACL Website via the below link:
His abbreviated CV includes:
- 2021-2023 Assistant Team Doctor Melbourne Storm NRL Team: Sydney games
- 2004-2023 Specialist Consultant in “Sport and Exercise Medicine” : Sydney
- 2021-2022 Assistant Team Doctor Gold Coast Titans NRL Team: Sydney games
- 2016-2020 Head Doctor to Sydney Swans Football Club
- 2012-2019 Consultant Doctor for Cirque du Soleil performance in Sydney ( Kurios, Kooza, Totem and Ovo.)
- 2019 Consultant Doctor for NBA in Sydney: USA versus Canada and Australian Boomers.
- 2019 Keynote speaker at the Northern Lights Conference, Scandinavia
- 2016 "NRL Rookie TV series Channel 9" Head Doctor
- 2015 Consultant Doctor to Les Miserables musical performing in Sydney
- 2014-2015 Assistant team Doctor for the Sydney Roosters Rugby League Club
- 2014 Liaison Doctor to Arizona Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers Baseball in Sydney
- 2012-2015 Queensland State of Origin NRL Assistant Team Doctor
- 2012-2015 Melbourne Storm NRL: Assistant Team Doctor Sydney games
- 2011-2017 Sydney Swans Football Club: Junior Swans Academy Consultant Doctor
- 2008-2011 Canberra Raiders Rugby League: Assistant Team Doctor Sydney games
- 2005 Sydney Swans Football Club: Assistant Team Doctor
- 2004-2017 Medical reviewer British Journal of Sports Medicine
- 2004-2017 Honorary Doctor North Bondi SLSC
- 2004-2016 Australian Rugby Union Wallabies: Medical room doctor: Sydney Test matches
- 2004-2014 NSW Waratahs Rugby Union: Assistant Team Doctor
- 2003-2015 Consultant Sports Medicine Doctor to the Royal Australian Navy Clearance Divers at HMS Penguin.
- 2002-2003 Consulting in Sports Medicine, Canberra
- 2001-2003 Consultant in Sports medicine to Royal Military College, Duntroon, ACT
- 2001 Australian Institute of Sport, ACT, Fellowship in Sports Medicine
- 2000 Volunteer Sports Doctor (Sydney Olympics and Paralympics)
- 1998-2000 Sydney Swans Football Club: Assistant Team Doctor
- 1997-2000 Sports Medicine Registrar consulting in Sydney
- 1997 Team Doctor for Manly Rugby League Juniors
Other sports medicine coverage includes:
Sydney FC Men's Soccer, Brisbane Roar Woman's Football Club, San Diego Chargers NFL, Australian Men's Water Polo Team tour of Europe, Australian Swimming Championships Team Doctor, NSW Institute of Sport Accredited Medical service provider, Harvard College American Football team, The Kings School Rugby, The Shore school Rugby, Wests Tigers rugby league, NZ Warriors rugby league, ACT Brumbies Rugby, Sydney Kings Basketball, Canberra Cannons Basketball, World transplant games, Australian Multi-disability games, Locum Doctor in Alice Springs for RFDS.
Dr Tom Cross caring for Sydney Swans premiership winning (season 2012) player, Alex Johnson, just after Alex tragically sustained a season ending knee injury.
Dr Cross has several journal publications
- Bend the Knee: The game-changing procedure for athletes with ACL injuries
- Role of Club Doctors in the Mental Health management of AFL players
- Acute Quadriceps Muscle Strain Injuries
- Accuracy of MRI predicting Hamstring Injury
- Silent Patella Fracture after ACL reconstruction
- Outcome of Fabella excision for Elite Athlete
- Exercise as Medicine
- Food as Medicine
- Distal avulsion of the Semitendinosus Tendon
- The Franklin-Naismith Lesion
- Headache in Athletes
- Rotator cuff problems in sport
- Exposure to Diagnostic Ionizing Radiation in Sports Medicine
- Exercise-associated Muscle Cramps
- Diagnostic imaging: radiation exposure and safety considerations
- Medical considerations in Child Athletes
- Musculoskeletal considerations in children
- Sports Injuries in Children
- Medial meniscal cyst as a cause of painful erosion of the tibial plateau
Sports Medicine Lectures
For all appointment bookings and enquiries with Dr Tom Cross please phone their office on (02) 8323 6500.
You will need to have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system to view this document. Download the Reader by clicking on the Acrobat icon below.