Dr Wade Harper
Dr. Wade Harper Shoulder Surgeon
Dr Wade Harper is an Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in disorders of the shoulder and elbow. He performs arthroscopic, reconstructive and traumatic shoulder and elbow surgery.
Arthroscopic surgery for shoulder instability and rotator cuff repairs are key interests.
Dr Wade Harper has been in practice as a specialist orthopaedic surgeon for more than 15 years.
He has practiced exclusively in the area of
- Elbow surgery,
- Sports injuries,
- Rotator cuff tears,
- Shoulder joint replacement.
Hospital Admission Rights
Visiting Medical Officer, Department of Orthopaedics, Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney.
- University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship (6 months): Sydney, Australia, 2001
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship (12 months): Calgary, Alberta, Canada 2002.
- Visiting The Mayo Clinic Rochester,
- Southern California Institute of Orthopaedics and
- New York Shoulder Arthroplasty Centres
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- The Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
Current Hospital Appointments
- The Prince of Wales Private Hospital
- The Prince of Wales Public Hospital
My particular areas of interest in orthopaedic surgery include:
- Arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder
- Arthroscopic shoulder instability surgery
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery
- Shoulder anatomical and reverse shoulder replacements
- Latarjet stabilization procedure
- Sports surgery
- Arthroscopic elbow surgery
- Clavicle and proximal humeral fractures
I enjoy restoring function to athletes and sports enthusiasts at all levels of participation. I work at the South Sydney Sports Medicine Practice with Dr Nathan Gibbs. In this capacity I have assisted players of Australian Rules Football (AFL), National Rugby League, Australian Rugby Union and professional surfers return to elite level competition.
Medical Education, Research and Volunteering
I am a Conjoint Lecturer for the University of NSW, teaching medical students, physiotherapists, resident doctors, orthopaedic registrars and shoulder and elbow surgeons (fellows). I have lectured and presented at local, regional, national and international conferences. I have co-authored research articles in peer reviewed journals. I continue to be involved with multicentre trials at the Prince of Wales Hospital.
I travelled to Vietnam in late 2016 with a group of Australian and International Surgeons to promote the development of Upper Limb surgery in Hue. Orthopaedic Outreach and The Mosman Rotary Club supported the project.
Implant design and development
Medacta Shoulder Arthroplasty Platform. 2014-present
I am part of a design team that consists of 6 European and 2 American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, engineers and scientists creating a new implant system for shoulder arthritis surgery. The team has met regularly since 2014 and had initial human trials in late 2016.
I have been a member of the Maroubra Surf Life Saving Club since 1981.
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time and travelling with my wife and 3 children. I am a keen surfer and cherish being in the ocean at every opportunity.